Friday, January 16, 2009

Time To Visit Aunt B

Your business plan review is like the family member that you visit once a year. You dread going on the trip, but afterward you are glad that you went. On Monday I submitted the Executive Summary for our Val-ID-ate business plan to the IEFL Business Plan Competition. Considering that the prizes have yet to be announced, I couldn't help but worry a bit (did you ever read The Lottery by Shirley Jackson?). Our business plan needed a tune-up and I figured that participating in a competition gives me a "reason" to get it done. This is the same reasoning I give myself as I step into the water for the Danskin Sprint Triathlons. Although the swim portion is still daunting, I know that one day I will get through it without hesitation.

Wonderfully, the business plan is holding up very well. Our goals remain the same and we are currently implementing the strategy that we had laid out - granted without the $500,000 investment for which we had hoped when we presented to Golden Seeds. We have even discovered that a couple of our competitors have "disappeared" (VeriResume and Pledgex). As when it was first written, I need help with the numbers. I recognize that my strengths are in developing the vision and formulating strategy, so when we make it to Round 2, I will be giving our financial guru a call.

Cross your fingers. Assuming that the grand prize is not a stoning, winning this contest would be a great boost!

No comments: