Sunday, January 11, 2009

Self-Promote or Die!

Ugh! I will never learn. Yesterday I was invited by a personal training client to take a spinning class at a new studio that is receiving rave reviews. It is the 360 Cycling Studio (http://3sixtycyclingstudio.com/) and it is co-owned by cosmetics magnate Bobbi Brown (http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/). The class was great and challenging - thanks Mark Cohen! Afterward, Bobbi Brown (who also attended the class) gave me a great compliment and asked why I was in such great shape. This is the moment when I should have said, "I am a personal trainer, teach fitness and also coach my daughters' gymnastics team. I am ABSOLUTELY going to encourage my clients to check out the studio". But NOOOOO, that is not what I said. Instead, I said something inane like, "oh, I guess I have good genes". Who cares!



My client (who is a great marketing person) introduced me as a trainer to the instructor and had my back the entire time since she must have realized what a dork I am.



I am so tired of the high school moments when you come up with the great comeback 5 minutes later. When am I going to learn that there are no second chances for first impressions and that clicking your heels will not turn back the hands of time?



Worst yet, there went a first impression with someone who could have been a future Verify-ED investor.



Ugh!

No comments: