Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Is It Really Wasting Time?

Yesterday I attended an awards event - and I don't know why. Not to be specific, but it was for a small business agency to which I don't even know whether I belong. I have placed much emphasis on networking to build our business, but yesterday made me question that approach. I went to this event alone and I did not know ANYONE - which is unusual for events I choose to attend. It was for a government-based agency which usually equates to expending much energy JUST to be considered for projects. I am not trying to do more work - I do quite a bit now.

It is January, a great time to evaluate how one spends time - and this was not the best use of my time. I obligingly sat through the awards presentation, made sure I drank a glass of wine from the open bar - and went home. I met a very nice man on the wine line - but even the as he mentioned potential opportunities, all I could think was, "million page RFP".

A really good friend is taking the 4 Hour Workweek approach - and I am going to join her. I bought the book (have yet to complete it), but I understand that the basic tenet is to go after clients from where I receive 80% of business.

So, executive recruiters everywhere, listen out for my call!

No comments: