Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hey! That Was My Idea!

What does my local Shop-Rite, which offers online grocery ordering with in-store pickup, and the BrickHouse Child Locator have in common? These are 2 ideas that I originally had, researched and started developing. I am sure that many of you have had those moments (whether after a few glasses of wine or just daydreaming) when you have come up with the "next big thing". Some of you may have explored it beyond the dream and many -like me-hit walls that made you put the dream on a shelf. So I know the frustration of seeing someone else take the dream that you had and profit. Of course you still pump your fist in the air when you see "your" product on the shelf or on TV because it provides validation that you "are not crazy" - but you can't help but think: THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!

This is one of the main reasons why I continue to put my energies into Val-ID-ate. I believe in our service and the tool, and I know the impact that it will have. I also know that if I don't see it through to the success it will achieve, someone else will - and I am tired of turning to the invisible person sitting on the couch next to me and saying, "hey, that was my idea" as a well-known TV personality hawks "my" product.

So, to all of you who have that "next great thing", try to follow through as far as you can - because that distance you travel may be just the right amount to get you "there" (wherever there may be).

No comments: