Thursday, February 19, 2009

No, I Can't Do It For Free

Today I had a session with my Ladies Who Launch partner for our weekly goal-setting session and she has informed me that she may have to close shop. Trying to get clients is tough, and the state of the economy adds another painful dimension. She said something that I have been thinking about all day. She said that, "everyone wants something for free" - and that is so true. Buyers know that (business) owners are trying to move product so they have been making the boldest requests and demands. Think about the housing market: buyers know that they have owners over a log and they are taking full advantage. It is the same for the small business owner. Everyone wants to know what you are going to "give" them for their patronage, implying somehow that we are doing them a favor by providing good service - huh??! Entrepreneurs can't make a living on that. My LWL partner smartly offers an introductory session for free, but her goal is not to provide the entire kit and kaboodle gratis.

And what about the clients who don't pay? We have been trying to collect over $1,000 from a client for over 2 months. That is money that we need, and it looks like I will have to spend at least 5 hours of my day going down to Atlantic City to play collection agent. When I envisioned being a business-owner, these administrative tasks were left out of my fantasies.

These are the reasons that we are focusing on our premium product. Our volume dependent work is too precarious. Our premium product is geared toward clients who will use our services to enhance their services, making us an integral piece of the puzzle.

Our intern said that I have tunnel vision - which is a compliment because I am focused on getting away from the client who just wants favors. My goal is for our clients to consider us their electric bill: a necessity to keep their businesses running!

No comments: