Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Another One Duped

I am always amazed that more employers are not duped. Today we signed a new client. It is a small employer with only about 2 employees. Apparently, a recent employee stole money which is why we were brought in. This employer does not have any formal hiring standards. Employees are found through local ad placements and resumes are not verified (no calls to past employers, no credentials checks, nothing).

Hiring our services is the first step at establishing basic standards - but it will not be enough. This employer also wanted us to conduct searches without the employees knowledge. I had to explain that we must have the subjects consent, and the easiest statement the employer can make is, "your continued employment is based upon a clean and clear background check". Unfortunately, most employers do not know that.

Think about the employee that was just fired? Do you think that person has a fear of being re-hired? NOOO! That person KNOWS that there is another employer out there that will hire him/her - and I am SURE that the person has a profile of the type of employer to target. I bet that if I did a past employer reference check for that person, a red flag would have been raised. Even though our new client has filed criminal charges against this person, it won't mean anything if a future employer doesn't check - which is exactly on what the criminal is betting.

I didn't ask, but I would love to know how much money was stolen because I need to start using that number as our base price.

No comments: