Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bill Murray as Joelle Ware in Verify-ED, The Movie

Yesterday was Groundhog Day, and I felt like Bill Murray in the movie with the same name. I had to complete 10 outstanding hours for my real estate training so I attended the past 2 days of the current training session. Same teacher, same schedule....same delivery, same jokes, same statements invoking the same questions from the class. It was an amazing deja vu experience! Although most of the cast were different, the lead role never wavered from the script. I wouldn't be surprised if the instructor was wearing the same sets of clothes that he wore for the first 2 days of my session last month.

This experience made me think about the mechanisms that we have in place for survival. The instructor (who is a very nice man, even though I can't figure out why he dyes his hair) depends upon his script and anticipates the responses. I have seen how flustered he can get when presented with an ad libber in the class. You can almost see his eyes saying, "WHAT are you doing? That is NOT in the script".

We all have a set of activities that we do for which we anticipate the same results - and we depend on those outcomes. That comfort helps us get brave to venture into other things - because we know that we can "go home". Although I know that I have those "comfort activities" for my personal life - doing laundry on a Sunday, walking the dog (or tying his leash to the stoop while I run to take a quick shower) - I don't feel as though I have "home" for my business life. My head is kept down most of the day answering email messages and trying to whittle my Reminders queue down that when I have a lull - I feel lost. I am not taking the time to go "home", and "home" would be that comfort activity that always produced a result (money, more clients, etc.).

Wouldn't it be great if "home" was picking up the phone to do cold-calls?

No comments: