Thursday, March 5, 2009

It's V-Day!

Tonight was the second time I performed in the Vagina Monologues at my alma mater, Stevens Institute of Technology. As always, the monologues were impactful and I feel great that I get an opportunity to contribute.

The subject matter can make you feel uncomfortable. There is such frank talk about the good, the bad and the ugly and you find yourself holding your breath sometimes - but I am know that it is important to put yourself in uncomfortable positions to gain awareness and knowledge.

I find that I am challenging myself more and more these days to be in "uncomfortable" positions. With the guidance of a master sales professional (Hi Mark!!), I am making better efforts at getting in front of clients. I was relying heavily on email and (rarely) telephone to reach prospective clients because, frankly, I am afraid. I am afraid of rejection. I am afraid to ask for money for our services. I am afraid of "looking stupid".

When I recently told someone about this fear, they asked, "Why are you afraid? You are HELPING companies. You have got to change your mindset" - so that is what I am doing. I have to remind myself that, HEY, we provide an invaluable service. What we do protects many companies from liability and embarrassment. People pay their insurance without hesitation, and that is how I need them to think of us: like insurance. Joelle, the insurance saleswoman :-)

No comments: