Monday, March 2, 2009

GoDaddy vs. Google: Hearing Impaired Customer Service

Here is a classic example of poor customer service.

I recently tried to utilize the GoDaddy Online Group Calendar so that our team could see and edit my schedule. I followed the directions and downloaded the executable that would synchronize my MS Outlook Calendar with the GoDaddy calendar. It literally worked once...and never again. On 2/20/09 I submitted an online help request to GoDaddy. They responded quickly by requesting screen shots and files, which I sent quickly. Time was of essence. Apparently, my problem was much more severe so the issue needed to be escalated. The last time I heard from them was 2/25/09. I finally made the decision to ditch GoDaddy and use Google Calendar - and it works like a champ! There are a few things that I would like to see changed, but ultimately Google achieves the purpose of sharing my calendar and syncing with MS Outlook.

I decided to let GoDaddy know that I was no longer pining by the "phone" waiting for their help. So I sent the following message (I was quite annoyed, but I feel that feedback is important for growth) :

The resolution to this issue has taken too long. I have decided to use Google Calendar.

They responded in a timely fashion with this:

Dear Joelle Hinds-Ware,
Thank you for contacting Online Support. I apologize for the delay. I have looked into the escalation and they are still investigating this matter. We will contact you once the issue has been resolved. We appreciate your patience while we look further into this matter for you.Please let us know if you have any further questions, comments, or concerns. Our service departments and telephone lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to accommodate your needs anytime.Or, you can send an email for speedy electronic service.We look forward to serving you in the future!

Sincerely,
Amber P.
Online Support Representative

What does this tell you? She didn't read my message and just sent some generic response. How insulting! I don't think that they were even trying to resolve my issue. This response erased any apologetic feelings I had about deserting GoDaddy.

This situation emphasizes how important it is that you give your client WHAT THEY ASK FOR. And if you err: fess up, acknowledge and apologize. GoDaddy should continue to spend the energy to solve my issue because if it happened to me it may happen to someone else - and who's to say that it hasn't?

I wish them luck. GoDaddy has great services, but what good are they if no one can fix them when they are broken?

No comments: